Why drink kombucha?
Kombucha (pronounced [com-boo-cha], is an invigorating and absolutely delicious drink. Originating in the Far East around 3,000 years ago, kombucha is a beverage with tremendous health benefits. Known as the “Immortal Health Elixir” by the Chinese, Kombucha is a fermented beverage of black tea and sugar (from various sources including cane sugar, fruit or honey) that has enormous health benefits. As it's made from tea, it inherits all of the wonderful benefits of tea including B vitamins, antioxidants, and polyphenols. It contains a colony of bacteria and yeast (commonly known as a “SCOBY” (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) that are responsible for initiating the fermentation process once combined with sugar. After being fermented, kombucha becomes carbonated and contains vinegar, b-vitamins, enzymes, probiotics and a high concentration of enzymes, which are tied with the following effects:
- Improved Digestion. Kombucha contains high levels of beneficial probiotics and enzymes which aid digestion.
- Increased Energy. Kombucha boosts energy. A growing number of athletes swear by Kombucha as part of their daily workout routine.
- Immune Support. Kombucha boosts the immune system to fight illness, cancer and other debilitating sicknesses.
- Regulates Blood Pressure. Kombucha helps to remove the calcium that clogs arteries and causes heart disease. In clinical trials involving 52 atherosclerotic patients with high cholesterol, kombucha helped lower levels to normal (link).
- Weight Loss. Kombucha helps balance the metabolism and reduces fat accumulation.
- Cleansing and Detoxification. Kombucha contains substantial amounts of Glucuronic acid (GA), a well known detoxicant. In the body the Glucuronic acid combines with toxins like pharmaceuticals and environmental pollutants, converting them into compounds that are soluble and the body can excrete. Drinking kombucha may also help prevent tissues from absorbing industrial toxins in the environment.
- Reduced Joint Pain, contains a number of specific substances that can directly improve joint health, most importantly Glucuronic acid, Chondroitin sulphate, Mucoitin sulfate, Heparin, Hyaluronic acid and the incredible Glucosamine. These enzymes are believed to be responsible for helping the body to rebuild tissue, especially in the knees.
And there are LOTS of other healthy reasons to sip kombucha. Check out this link for more info.
Why drink Salt Spring Island Kombucha?
- We blend a unique brew that is crafted in small batches using our mountain spring water and organic teas (including immune-boosting Yerba Mate).
- Our 6 flavours feature healing herbs, many of which we wildcraft on our organic farm. These herbal elixirs boost immunity, aid digestion and improve mood and energy.
- Our kombucha is flavoured with only tea and healing herbs. We believe that great kombucha should stand on its own, without the need for high sugar juices and additives.
- Our kombucha has 34 calories per bottle and only 4 grams of sugar. This is far less than any of the big commercial brands (typically these have between 70-100+ calories and as much as 24 grams of sugar). Kombucha is healthy, sugary additives are not.
"When your inner world comes into order, your outer world will come into order."
The I Ching or Classic of Changes
Loved by People Everywhere
Please visit our testimonials page!